Masculinizing Hormone Therapy
What Does Masculinizing Hormone Therapy Involve?
- Injectable testosterone.
Testosterone used in injections is made from bioidentical ingredients. It is the chemical equivalent of testosterone naturally secreted from male testicles. You’ll undergo a series of injections in varying doses, as determined by the medical professional assisting you.
- Testosterone patch.
This therapy protocol involves wearing a patch on your back, stomach or arms. It was initially developed for men with low levels of testosterone, so the dosage increases during hormone replacement therapy for transgender female-to-male transitioning.
- Testosterone gel or cream.
Testosterone cream is applied on the skin at a constant rate. It’s vital that you work with an experienced transgender female-to-male hormone therapy specialist to ensure the proper dosage and application for your specific case.
- Oral pills.
Testosterone pills used for masculinizing hormone therapy are taken once daily. They may eliminate some of the side effects that may accompany injectable testosterone.
- This is hormone replacement therapy (HRT) using small pellet-like implants inserted under the skin with a local anesthetic.
A transgender hormone therapy specialist plays a critical role in successful transgender female-to-male hormone therapy. At New York City-based Vitality NP Family Health, Svetlana Pyatigorskaya is your hormonal therapy specialist. She takes you through the process and discusses the hormones to be used, expected changes and potential side effects. She addresses all your concerns with compassion and designs a therapy to help you achieve your unique goals.
Why Is Masculinizing Hormone Therapy Necessary?
- Improving the quality of your life
- Providing you with the tools to cope with distress associated with gender identity problems
- Creating a more stable sex life due to increased libido
- Achieving better sociological functioning with gender congruence
- Reducing psychological problems, such as suicidal ideation, anxiety, social withdrawal and anger
- Improving self-esteem
- Instilling greater self-confidence
Your hormone therapy specialist at Vitality NP Family Health works with you to ensure you enjoy these and more benefits of masculinizing hormone therapy. You can trust Svetlana to work with you until your transition is successful.
What Changes Are Expected after Masculinizing Hormone Therapy?
Transgender hormone replacement therapy female-to-male treatment causes some physical changes. This therapy involves the use of testosterone, which is primarily responsible for masculine features. Some of the changes you can expect include:
- Suppressed menstrual cycles
- Increased libido
- Increased acne and skin oiliness
- Clitoral enlargement
- Decreased amount of breast tissue
- Lowered production of estrogen from your ovaries
- Facial and body hair growth
- Increased muscle mass and strength
- A deeper voice
- Male pattern balding
- Body fat redistribution with more volume on the abdomen as opposed to hips, buttocks and thighs
All these are desired body changes for a transgender person transitioning from female to male. Before commencing this therapy, your hormone specialist at Vitality NP Family Health discusses these changes with you. Some are temporary, while others are permanent. Talking about these changes prepares you psychologically before you start therapy sessions.
What Should I Know Before Masculinizing Hormone Therapy?
Clear up any misconceptions about this therapy. Make sure you get the right information to make an informed decision. During your initial interviews with your transitioning therapist, you discuss a variety of issues covering topics such as:
- Your expectations of what you’ll look and feel like after the therapy
- Your fears about the medication and any side effects or risks involved
- Your and your family’s medical history, including any serious diseases you have
- Which physical changes are temporary and which are permanent
- Any and all effects on your fertility
- Side-effects involved, such as weight gain, sleep apnea and male-pattern baldness, as well as what you can do about them
- How to prepare for masculinizing hormone therapy
- What to expect during therapy and how long it will last
- After-care that protects your overall well-being
At Vitality NP Family Health in New York City, you receive masculinizing hormone therapy at a state-of-the-art facility. Your experienced nurse practitioner provides personalized attention, relying on a wealth of resources based on the most current interventions available. For the best care and the highest quality treatment during your gender transitioning, contact the clinic today to start your masculinizing hormone therapy in a comfortable place, where you’re treated with the utmost respect.